Friday, March 19, 2010

Some Lessons Need to Be Relearned

Heading back onto the roads after a winter of riding (or not riding) on the trainer is always a bit eye opening.  This past week was gorgeous here in the Twin Cities.  I converted my Guru from trainer machine to road rocket (well something like that).  I went out for an hour and a half.  Here's what I discovered:

I don't drink enough without my aerobar hydration system.  When you're out in the wind and it's 55 degrees you don't have the same physical cues to drink that you have on the trainer i.e. the pool of sweat on the floor.  You also having to navigate traffic, potholes, and sand dunes leftover from the winter road treatment.  Those factors reduce the likelihood that I'll reach down and grab my bottle.

The end result was that for the rest of the day I was totally wiped out.  Spent a great deal of time trying to rehydrate.  I won't make that mistake again.  Well, at least not until next year.  The next time I head out on the road I'll have my Profile Design aero bottle in place and topped off.

The weather has returned to normal so it may be a while before I get out on the roads again.  When you do ride safe and drink plenty of fluids. 

No comments:

Post a Comment