Monday, March 8, 2010

Beware of the Group Run

We are taught from an early age that there is safety in numbers.  Use the buddy system.  Don't go out alone.  Well I'm here to tell you that isn't always the case.

This past weekend I was invited to join a group for a Sunday morning run.  I knew the groups pace would be fine (although this is one of the primary dangers in group training).  What I didn't know was that I would end up covering 50% more distance than I planned.  We were running along the river and had to make a choice to either turn around or continue until we got to the next bridge.  Most everyone prefers a loop to an out and back.  We thought it might add an extra mile or so.  Turns out it added over 2.5 miles.  Oops.

Some people can't run on their own or at least don't like to.  I'll be the first to admit that having others around makes the miles fly by (even when you aren't really flying).  The problem is you have to relinquish a certain amount of control to join the group.  Verify the plans for the run: the planned pace, the planned route. Only join the group if the plans match with your training.

I got lucky.  The added mileage didn't push me over the edge.  With a full day of rest I should be able to pick right back up with my training.  If the added mileage had been combined with a pace above my capabilities  I would not have been so lucky.

Be careful out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment