Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Training v. Working Out

There are many differences between working out and training.  One of those differences was made very clear to me this past week.  Working has to fit into your schedule.  Training requires adjusting your schedule, within reason, to work towards your goals.

This past week I have been on Maui with my family.  It also coincides with the beginning of my 24 week build for Ironman Wisconsin.  I knew I was going to have trouble getting in the bikes but I wasn't too worried about that.

Monday was to be my first day of training.  Sunday night the family decided they wanted to do the road to Hana on Monday.  I knew I could get in one workout before leaving.  I also knew that I wouldn't feel like working out after being in the car all day.   So after the kids were in bed Sunday I went down to the pool and cranked out my first training session a day early.  The next day I got up before everyone and got my run in.

Tuesday I went back and biked a good portion of the road to Hana with a group ride put on by Go Cycling Maui.  Donnie has a great shop and he and the support crew were awesome.  The Litespeed bikes are nice.  If you're going to Maui, bring your shoes and pedals and Donnie will supply the rest - including Heed, Endurolytes, Gels, bars and peanut filled pretzels which may have never tasted so good.  We did 4500 feet of elevation in 40 beautiful miles.  You can also ride to the top of Haleakala - 10,000+ feet of vertical.  Despite how terrible this picture of me is, I had a blast.  You can make out part of the road on the cliff above my head.

I'll have to work my training around the family surfing lesson on Thursday.  Sacrifices, sacrifices.  Aloha!

No comments:

Post a Comment